- PhD; HDE
- My chief research interest is in the field of San Studies. I have also published articles on contemporary South African writing.
- I currently teach courses in romanticism, American poetry and Victorian and contemporary fiction.
- Bushman Letters: Interpreting /Xam Narrative. Johannesburg: Wits University Press. 2010.
- K. Tomaselli and M. Wessels (eds). San Representation: Politics, Practice and Possibilities. London: Routledge. 2015.
- Antjie Krog, Stephen Watson and the Metaphysics of Presence. Current Writing. 19 (2), 2007: 24-48. 10.1080/1013929X.2007.9678273
- The Discursive Character of the /Xam Texts: a Consideration of the /Xam „Story of the Girl of the Early Race Who Made Stars?. Folklore. 119 (1), 2007: 307-324. http://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.ukzn.ac.za:2048/doi/pdf/10.1080/00155870701621806
- Myth of Origin or Play of Difference: a Discussion of Two Versions of the /Xam Story of the Moon and the Hare. Current Writing. 20 (1), 2008: 54-68. 10.1080/1013929X.2008.9678289
- New Directions in /Xam Studies: Some of the Implications of Andrew Bank?s Bushmen in a Victorian World: the Remarkable Story of the Bleek-Lloyd Collection of Bushman Folklore. Critical Arts: A Journal of North-South Cultural Studies. 22 (1), 2008: 69-82. http://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.ukzn.ac.za:2048/doi/pdf/10.1080/02560040802166250
- The Story in which the Children are Sent to Throw the Sleeping Sun into the Sky”: an Exploration of Power, Identity and Difference in a /Xam Narrative. Journal of Southern African Studies. 34 (3), 2008: 479-494. http://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.ukzn.ac.za:2048/doi/pdf/10.1080/03057070802259621
- Text or Presence: On Rereading the /Xam and the Interpretation of their Narratives. Journal of Literary Studies. 24 (3), 2008: 20-39. http://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.ukzn.ac.za:2048/doi/pdf/10.1080/02564710802024792
- The /Xam Narratives: Whose Myth of Origin? African Studies. 67 (3), 2008: 339-364. http://www.tandfonline.com.ezproxy.ukzn.ac.za:2048/doi/pdf/10.1080/00020180802505004
- Religion and the /Xam Texts. Current Writing. 20 (2), 2008: 44-66. 10.1080/1013929X.2008.9678300
- The Universal and the Local: the Trickster and the /Xam Narratives. English in Africa. 35 (2), 2008: 7-33.
- Foraging, Talking and Tricksters: a Critical Appraisal of Mathias Guenther?s Contribution to Reading the /Xam Narratives. Journal of Folklore Research. 45 (3), 2008: 299-328.
- Reading the Hartebeest: a Critical Appraisal of Roger Hewitt?s Interpretation of the /Xam Narratives. Research in African Literatures: 40 (2), 2009: 82-108.
- The Lightness of Literature and the /Xam Story, „Kwammang-a is Found by Crows?. Journal of Southern African Folklore. 19 (1), 2009: 1-19.
- The Story of “!Khwe // na ssho !kui who Brought Home a Young Lion to Use as a Dog: Character, Identity and Knowledge in a /Xam Narrative. Folklore. 122 (2), 2011: 177-196 . DOI:10.1080/0015587X.2011.570522
- Bushman Voices of the Drakensberg: Zanele Mkhwanzi?s Story. Current Writing 24 (1), 2012: 58-71. DOI:10.1080/1013929X.2012.645361
- The /Xam Narratives of the Bleek and Lloyd Collection: Questions of Period and Genre. Western Folklore. 71 (1) 2012: 25-46.
- The Khoisan Origins of the Interconnected Worldview in Antjie Krog?s Begging to be Black. Current Writing 24 (2), 2012: 186-197. DOI:10.1080/1013929X.2012.706928
- A Story of a /Xam Bushman Narrative. Journal of Literary Studies. 29 (3), 2013: 1-22. DOI: 10.1080/02564718.2013.810862
- San representation: an overview of the field. Critical Arts. 2014: 465-471. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/vA7UzdfRvQksHMPwtsQt/full
- The Creation of the Eland: A Close Reading of a Drakensberg San Narrative. Critical Arts. 2014: 555-568. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/MZT3kFkY9ZJ9TfHVGePY/full
- The Representation of Place and Religion in Nkosinathi Sithole’s Hunger Eats a Man. Scrutiny2. 2014: 49-58. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/zbnx9gJYDcE62u4xGiNj/full
Chapters in Books
- “The Dasse?s Story and The Crow?s Story: The Interdiscursivity of /Xam Bushman Literature”. In: Narrating Nomadism: Tales of Recovery and Resistance: Ed. G. N. Devy, G. V. Davis and K. K. Chakravarty. London and New Delhi: Routledge. 2013: 182-201.
- Bushman Literature of the Drakensberg: The Re-emergence of a Vanished Voice. In: Courage of //Kabbo, edited by P. Skotnes and J. Deacon. UCT Press. 2014: 265-274.
- The /Xam Narratives of the Bleek and Lloyd Collection: Are They Mythology and Do They Belong to the Nineteenth Century? In: Performing Identities: The Celebration of Indigeneity in the Arts, edited by G.N. Devy, G. Davis and K.K. Chakravarty. London and New Delhi: Routledge, 2014: 185 – 201.
- Representations of Place in Three South African Novels. Collected papers from the ASNEL conference of 2013. Rodophi. 2014.
- I supervise PhD and MA students in a wide range of fields, including fine arts, film studies and Victorian and African literature. I would be interested in supervising work in the areas of contemporary poetry, orality, literary theory, postcolonialism, romanticism, world literature, travel writing, indigenous studies and representations of place and nature.