- BA UN
- BA Hons (English) UN
- BA Hons (Applied Linguistics) UN
- HDE (UN)
- Ed (TESOL) UPENN
- Language and Society
- Academic Literacies
- Gender and the Media
- Early photography
- Ideology and the Media
- Research Methodologies
- 1987 – 1989, End Conscription Campaign. Acting Chairperson – 1989
- 1990, Pietermaritzburg Crisis Committee: Co-ordinated team who recorded the statements of displacees in the Seven Days War.
- 1990 – 1992, Imbali Support Group. Participated in overnight stays with Imbali families threatened by violence; acted as a ‘link’ person gathering reports of violent incidents within Imbali, and assisting Imbali residents in liaising with police.
- Independent Electoral Commision: District Election Monitor responsible for Pietermaritzburg Central, April/May. Co-ordinated a team of IEC Monitors during elections and vote counting.
- 1989 -1995. Black Sash: 1993/4 – Executive Committee Member
- 1982-1985. Pietermaritzburg Agency for Christian Social Awareness and Action, Council Member.
- 1993 – 1998. Friends of the Tatham Art Gallery: Executive Committee Member.
- Early Photography, Media, Ideology and the Public Sphere, Semiotics, Inter-cultural communication, Qualitative Research Methodologies, Tabloidization of the Press, Sociolinguistics, Psycholinguistics, Language Teaching Methodologies, Academic Literacies, Orality and Literacy
- Mbali Mphiri. 2017. An exploratory case study of UKZN PMB students’ responses to the representation of the female lead character Mkabayi Zungu in Isibaya.
- Nolungelo Mkhatshwa. 2017. UKZN students’ responses to the narrative construction of female characters within the cultural/ traditional practices of ‘ukungenwa’ (levirate union) and ‘isithembu’ (polygamy) as represented in Generations the Legacy and Muvhango .
- Thokozani Mtiki. 2016. An investigation of the Daily Sun’s representation of men and women in its headlines, and photographs in hard news stories.
- Siduduziwe Madonda. 2016. An investigation of the gender role representation of Karabo in the soap opera Generations in relation to discourses of polyandry and polygamy.
- Phumelele Lembethe. 2016. A comparative analysis of the construction of the central male protagonist in the original and the remake of the film The Gambler through the lens of masculinities theory.
- Lindani Makhaye. 2016. The communication of South African contemporary black masculinities in local TV Soapies, with particular attention to lead male protagonists in Generations the Legacy and Rhythm City.
- Mutsa Hove. 2014. The construction and representation of masculinities in YOU magazine: A study of representations of paralympian Oscar Pistorious pre and post Reeva Steenkamp’s fatal shooting.
- Warwick Jones. 2014. “Are there any normal guys out there?” An analysis of represented constructions of queer masculinities on Gaydar.