- AB (Harvard College)
- PhD (Harvard University)
- Africana studies
- Black Atlantic Africana literature
- Africana music
- Black Atlantic studies
- Clawing at the Limits of Cool: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and the Greatest Jazz Collaboration Ever, with Farah Jasmine Griffin. New York: Thomas Dunne Books, 2008.
- “Fingering the Jagged Grain: The Jazz/Blues/Mbaqanga Impulse of Novelist Mandla Langa” – World of Music, vol. 5, no. 2 (2016).
- “Silence, Music, Resolution” – Journal of Literary Studies (April 2015).
- “Exiles/Inxiles: Differing Axes of South African Jazz During Late Apartheid” – SAMUS, vol. 32 (2013).
- For more details of Prof Washington’s publications, compositions and performances, contact him directly.